I was shopping this week and as I walked from the car to the store it was pouring down rain, but I noticed the leaves in the parking lot and thought how pretty they were. When I returned to my car I packed my purchases and then went back to take a picture of the leaves. It is such a perfect image of the changes of the season from Summer to Fall. Soon all evidence of falling leaves will be only a memory and we'll look to the evergreens to cheer our souls.
There is construction going on a couple of miles from us at the freeway interchange. They are moving the bridge, well actually they are putting in a new bridge in an effort to accomodate the hoped for surge in commercial establishments in the area. The beginning of construction caught us by surprise. We drove to the intersection one day and it looked like moving day - after the move. All of our tall, beloved, evergreen trees had been cut and removed. We mourned their loss. Then we remembered all the glorious daffodils that bloom among them beside the north bound off ramp. Every spring their butter yellow shines forth and brightens our spirits. They make us smile. Now the daffodil bulbs are under tons of dirt and rock - never to see daylight again. We are still mourning their loss. I have a feeling of regret and sadness everytime I pass through that interchange. Perhaps they will plant something wonderful when they finish building - perhaps the beauty of the trees and flowers will always be just a memory. Fooey on construction!




No comments:
Post a Comment